So I just finished the Heralds of Valdemar Series (well the first 3 books, not the stand alone ones) and I realized that I actually LIKE Mercedes Lackley as an author. I had read a couple of her books before so I always knew that her stuff was worth the effort, but now I know that it’s really worth the effort.
Any way… The Heralds of Valdemar Series follows young Talia from the time she was a neglected girl in her village through her training as a Herald and her heroism once she becomes a Herald. Bascially all three books can be summed up by this summary ” When she uncovers a plot to seize the throne, Talia must use her empathic powers to save the queen.”
What I liked:
- Talia was a great character. Charming, smart, funny, lovable and she still had flaws – which is something I appreciate, female characters who are perfect get on my nerves.
- All the supporting characters are funny, maybe a little too sentimental, and well rounded, they are all developed and none of them really fall flat.
- The action was always fast paced and well written and the books always kept moving
What I didn’t like
- OMG, what’s with authors beating up their characters? Poor Talia could never catch a break!
- I wish there was a little bit more development/story line for Elspeth
- For someone who was “The Queens Own” you don’t really see much of the queen and the politics – I feel like that could have been included more.
❤ The Book Worm